Sunday, October 11, 2009

Brad Strut Interview


While i might have been neglecting this place i have still been working on a few things. A little while back I caught up with London based Australian emcee Brad Strut for Stealth Mag. Here's a little of what he had to say.

The UK seems like a harder place for an independent Hip Hop artist to survive?


A lot of people at home have this fantasy ideal that British Hip Hop is just as big as its own and probably bigger. The scene here has its moments but Australia is probably a better place for an independent Hip Hop artist to be.

It is a healthy scene over here. You don’t have a national radio station over here or one that is as prolific as the one over here and knowing that if you get a song on the Js [Triple J] then you know that a lot of regular people might have that on in their cars and boom you’ve got a profile.

I haven’t actually got play on that shit at this point. I do get splashes or moments where they push one of my singles for a few weeks but it never really gets on rotation. The Hip Hop Show has always been a supporter and Triple J has as well, but they have a particular style of music they want to play and I’m aware of that in the studio. I’d like to think that as an artist I have the range to make a song that they couldn’t not play but at the same time I’m in this for Hip Hop. I’m not about to go and sucker out for want of an 80s or 90 term.

You can read more on Stealth Mag

Image courtesy of Stealth Mag